Pacquiao vs Marquez 3

Every latest news and updates, watch videos, pictures and analysis

Sunday, June 5, 2011

David Diaz: Pacquiao Too Strong/Fast, He Beats Marquez

Former WBO lightweight champion David Diaz is not disappointed that a potential July fight fell through with Juan Manuel Marquez. They were negotiating for a few weeks but couldn't reach an agreement after Marquez offered $150,000 but Diaz refused to take the fight for anything less than $250,000. Marquez wanted to use Diaz as an interim-opponent before facing Manny Pacquiao in a third fight on November 12 in Las Vegas.

"When I fought against Erik Morales, I received $350,000 and Morales was a fighter who was was already finished. Quite the contrary with Marquez, who is in his prime and he's the champion. So I wanted a little more than what they were offering," Diaz told Jose Sanchez. "I'm not disappointed because Marquez has already signed for a very important fight and I know this is part of the business and I understand it. But I am a little hurt because I was not properly valued."

Diaz thinks some of the recent comments from Top Rank CEO Bob Arum may have played a role in Marquez's decision to stand still with the money. He expects Pacquiao to beat Marquez in November.

"I think Pacquiao will win. We've all had problems with his speed and punching power but it has increased tremendously and I do not know if Marquez can adapt to that. It's going be a difficult fight for Marquez and I think Pacquiao wins. Bob Arum told Marquez told that if he lost the fight against me, his fight with Pacquiao is not going to happen. So that could have had some influence [on Marquez's position with the money]," Diaz said.

Source: boxingscene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment