Pacquiao vs Marquez 3

Every latest news and updates, watch videos, pictures and analysis

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Schaefer Talks Pacquiao-Marquez Matching, Canelo is Out

By Lem Satterfield

Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, spoke to BoxingScene.com about our recently published report where Juan Manuel Marquez announced that he was accepting Top Rank's revised offer to face Manny Pacquiao in a trilogy bout on November 12 in Las Vegas. The catch-weight of 144-pounds would be in place for Pacquiao-Marquez. Pursuant to their expired promotional agreement with Marquez, Golden Boy has the ability to match Top Rank's offer.

In a prior interview with BoxingScene, Schaefer revealed that he was planning to match Top Rank's offer by presenting Marquez with a lucrative deal to face Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. Schaefer said Canelo was willing to meet Marquez at 147. Because of the revised terms, with the catch-weight of 144, it prevents Schaefer from offering Alvarez, who currently competes at 154-pounds.

Schaefer denied published reports that he was planning to match Top Rank's offer with a possible bout against newly crowned WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz. At the moment, Marquez has not approached Golden Boy with Top Rank's revised offer. Before entering into any agreement, Marquez must provide Golden Boy with the ability to match the offer.

"That's not true [about matching the Pacquiao deal with Ortiz]. No, I didn't do that. Jeez. All of these people are calling me, and I am saying the same thing. And this time, I want to be very clear. Marquez has not approached us and asked us about any offer which he would want us to match or not. So he has not approached us. I haven't heard from Marquez, and that's the bottom line," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

"I have been copied from Bob Arum, a copy has been sent from Bob Arum of an offer that was sent to Marquez, and in there it states 144-pounds. Somebody asked what am I going to do now with Canelo Alvarez, and I said, 'Well, Alvarez can't make 144, but he can make 147. But if the weight is such a big issue for Juan Manuel Marquez, then one guy that I'm going to be thinking about is Victor Ortiz.'"

"I didn't say that I'm going to match it, I said that I'm going to think about it. Because I haven't even received the offer. Once I have received the offer from Marquez and what he is actually suggesting to accept, then I will take a look at it and I will discuss it with my team, and with our attorneys and think about it and then I will get back to Marquez. That's all that I said. Obviously, with them going to 144, that rules out Alvarez, but I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe Ortiz, maybe somebody else. I'm going to have to think about it."

boxingscene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment